SketchUp has been providing an essential platform to the 3D modeling designers for decades. The easy-to-use features and functions made the application one of the most popular designing aids across the world. The intuitive working tools and the advantage of using accessories generated by users, including open source libraries and plugins, solve the complexities of 3D modeling and offer you an understandable way to create designs as per your requirement. Drawing designs on SketchUp is so easier that even children at their nascent designing stage are exposed to the architectural designs.
SketchUp has proven to be a great application for the beginners as its functions are made user-friendly and simple. Due to its simple approaches to the designing, SketchUp has faced difficulties to fulfil the requirements of designers at their advanced stages. Many would consider the application as a ‘rookie tool’ and feel a need for replacing this designing aid with comparably advanced ones such as Revit, Rhino, and AutoCAD. To change the scenario and to hook budding designers with them, SketchUp started evaluating with time by launching new plugins and increasing a greater user interface. With an array of creative and innovative functions, the application is successfully offering organized and efficient ways for making designs more prominent and efficient.
The content discusses on particularities of SketchUp application that allows you to design, adding real and vibrant details easily. The object of the discussion is to make the designing code simplified for you that ensures you to draw your imagination like an expert designer.
- 3D warehouse gallery: 3D warehouse comes inevitably with Sketchup as a distribution platform to promote 3D modeling designs. The gallery contains different 3D models designed by other users and it welcomes you to choose the right design for your designing project. This eliminates the necessities of using lines, layers and materials in your design. Thus, you can also reduce the file size.
- Place the model rightly in space: Conceptualizing a project as per the real location is a necessary work of an architecture. SketchUp gives you the needed reference of geo-location to analyze your plan according to the location. For placing your 3D model in a particular location, use the geo-referencing tool that can be accessible from window> model information>geolocation>add your preferred location.
- Plugins in extension warehouse: Plugins are best to give you a magnificent experience in 3D designing. With each version, SketchUp launches an array of plugins to solve the shortcoming of previous versions. They not only offer a new brunch of features but also enhance the efficiency of existing tools. Solar north is such an extension that allows you to change the direction of solar angle as per your design for adding a realistic view to the details. Sketchy FFD is another extension that looks after the dimension of the selected objects.
- Organize and save tool bar: Organizing a toolbar lets you manage and save your preferred options for the next use. It cuts down and offers you a better working environment. The process needs time to select the functions of your choice, but the end result will definitely give benefits in designing things instantly. This lets you perform your work efficiently with giving a keen attention to designs and concepts.
- Groups and Components for making editing easier: Using Group proves to be very beneficial in editing. It organizes your models into groups of objects and figures. You can easily change a particular portion of a model without disturbing the rest of the design. Using group in SketchUp needs just a few clicks – secondary button>create a group.
- Use layers, but not many: A small number of layers have been enough to control the element on the screen. Hiding layers, which are of no use, allows you to perform work in SketchUp smoothly. In case of importing models designed by others in your project, you need to take extra care and time to delete layers. Deleting those helps you reduce the file size.
- Reference point for enhancing accuracy: For creating or duplicating an element from your design, reference points can be handy. It also increases an accuracy of designs and makes your project flawless. For duplicating an object of your design, select the element and choose the reference point in space. Press the control key for activating the copy mode. In case of new element, use ‘measure tool’ for inserting a guide. Click on the beginning of an existing edge and its extension.
- Keyboard shortcut: Keyboard shortcuts make you speedy for accessing tool and needed functions. SketchUp has some existing shortcuts, they can be customizable though.
- Appropriate Visual style: For adding artistic details to your design, visual graphic style gives the essential effects to your 3D drawing. Agreeing the fact that effects make any design realistic, this tool always stays at the top in designers’ preference list.
- Use scene manager to set a view: Scene manager option is for adding or deleting view points as per your project. This also helps you create new camera angles to give your design a better visual effect. For choosing the right tool, Place Camera helps you understand the different camera angles by analyzing camera’s height with respect to the ground.
For further information please follow the link: www.archdaily.com